Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm not a toy...

A little boy walks past a toy store,
He can't help but notice a simple yet appealing teddy bear sitting in the window display box.
His bright eyes light up, and the biggest smile appears on his eager face.
"Mummy, i want it! can i have it?".
The mother looks down on her pleading son,
"Maybe another day sweetheart."
The next day they walk down the same street,
"Mummy can i get it now?"
The mother gives in to his persistence,
And purchases this teddy bear.
Cha-Ching.
The cash register sounds,
Signalling the deal,
The trade.
Money for a teddy bear.
The little boy is overjoyed.
Everyday he plays with this teddy bear,
And cares for it more than anything.
His infatuation with the bear grew and grew til it was outgrown.
A week pasts,
And the teddy bear is falling apart and dirty from him constantly playing with it.
The little boy leaves the bear on the floor,
Completely disinterested,
He forgets about it.
One day the mother comes home with a firetruck,
And the boy throws out the teddy bear as if it meant nothing.
And just like that,
The bear was left in the trash,
Abandoned,
A mess,
Alone.
It no longer existed in the little boys life,
Nor in his heart.
The firetruck is all that matters now.
A bright, red, shiny firetruck is much more appealing than an old, ragged up bear isn't it?
When the boy sleeps at night,
Will the firetruck be comfortable in his bed?
When the boy is sad,
Will the firetruck be satisfactory to hold?
When the boy needs a hug,
Will the firetruck be soft and warm enough?
When the boy is done with the firetruck,
Will he remember the bear?...


When you're so caught up with something,
You forget everything else that is around you.
Memories fade,
If not, are forgotten.
But after all the things you said,
"I love you...don't leave me"...
You could throw me away so easily without hesitation.
I'm not a toy,
You can't just leave me like that when you find something new and are bored of me.
"Why not? I can do whatever i want, get over it."
Because i'm a person,
Not a possession.
You can't do whatever you want,
Because there are always consequences and you can't continue living so selfishly as if you're the center of the universe. You might have been the center of my universe but now you're nothing but a tiny, distant planet.
I tried holding on,
But i guess i'm too weak.
I am over it,
And i'm over you...
Just don't keep reminding me that i'm nothing,
Because unlike you...
I'm the one who hurts.

Just like the bear,
I'm all used up...
But with a little cleaning up and stitching,
I'll be all good,
Perhaps good enough for someone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment